One of my 2010 New Year's resolutions is one that I try to accomplish every year. Not because I don't accomplish it and can't cross it off, but because I love it and want do it every year. The goal is to expand my horizons on a quarterly basis. I got the idea from a former roommate who is a financial analyst - hence the "quarterly" basis. As roommates we made this a goal of our house to try something new, learn something new, or do something we have never done before at least every three months. You might think that every three months isn't very often but time really flies when you're having fun!Some of the things that this resolution has inspired me to do in the past include: take tennis lessons (which frankly, I could do again and still feel like it was a new thing); learn how to make crepes with the crepe pan I got for Christmas; see sites around my home that I had never been too but always wanted to; try a new restaurant; try a new type of cuisine; study the life of Camille Pissarro, a French Impressionist painter who I have always admired (and who, coincidentally, shares my same birthday! Would I have found that out if I was not trying to expand my horizon? Maybe, but maybe not!) This list goes on and on but everything I have done, whether small or large, whether I have done them with friends or on my own, has truly expanded my view and made my life completely enjoyable!
This year, so far, I have to say I have done an exceptional job at expanding my horizons and I am only at the beginning of the second quarter! I decided to record the progress of my resolution this year in the Dream Journal found at Whirly Bin because I think accomplishing this particular goal this year has made and will make 2010 quite a memorable year! The Dream Journal is perfect for what I am doing because I am dreaming, I am expanding, I am imagining, I am creating and most of all, I am following my bliss!
The first quarter was filled with A LOT of horizon expansion, so much so that I am going to pick just a few to report on. Most of it all stems from the fact that I went to Guam to visit my sister and her family at the beginning of the year. This not-so-little jaunt to the small territorial island on the other side of the world has been recorded in previous posts but I can't help but add it to my list of horizon expansions. How could I not? Just look at that horizon! Expansive, isn't it?
I hate to say I don't really have any SCUBA pictures to share. Honestly I am still new to it all and like to focus on breathing and not getting a camera out. I plan on doing more diving so maybe some pics will come later.
And the last new thing I added to my horizon in the first quarter as a result of visiting Guam was learning how to make Mochi Balls, a Japanese snack made out of sweet rice flower. My sister's friend, who they affectionately call "Miss Joy" invited us to her house and taught us how to make them. They are absolutely delish. Mine didn't really turn out to look this good but I think practice will make perfect!
With such a successful first quarter down, I am a little worried about how the the next 3 will add up but I am looking forward to a little something new in all of them!Stay tuned!
Brilliant! I just bought one of these gorgeous and inspiring journals. Unfortunately, I haven't thought of anything to write in it that would be worthy of it's beauty. I love the "expand your horizons" idea and think I'll get my family to join in with me. Hopefully we'll soon have a journal of unforgettable memories recorded! Thanks for the post!
ReplyDelete