A Place for Paper

3.24.2010

A Delight Worth Your Time!


I was recently reading an article from the April issue of my favorite magazine, Real Simple, and came across an article that discusses 22 everyday delights worth spending time on. Naturally, I was drawn to this story because who doesn't want to spend time on delightful things?! It turns out that 1 of the 22 items is writing thank-you notes, something that I find to be notably worth your time. And so does Amy Krouse Rosenthal, the author of the article and a Chicago-based author and filmmaker.

Here is what Amy has to say on the subject in a very delightful, acrostic way:

Think so? Do so. Once the tiniest glimmer of “I should write a thank-you note” enters your mind, honor it. Sure, you can rationalize why you don’t need to, but then you’re just seizing an opportunity to hone your already sharp rationalizing skills.

Hygiene. I put thank-you notes in a category I call “interpersonal hygiene.” Do it out of common courtesy. Don’t do it at all and you kinda stink.

Alternate ideas. Have fun with it! A traditional card works fabulously, but if that’s feeling boring, reach for a sheet of sandpaper (“Thanks for helping me get through a rough time”), write a haiku (“Thaiku very much”), or try one of my favorites: a miniature note sent via the World’s Smallest Postal Service (Google it – it’s super cool).
Nice, nicer, nicest. A quick thank-you via text or Facebook is at the low end of the nice spectrum. A chunky e-mail is nicer. Mailed letter is way nicest. I think the general rule of thumb could be: The more ephemeral the medium, the less meaningful it is.

Keeping score. People will sometimes claim they don’t want a thank-you note – “they just want to be sure you received your gift.” Let me translate for you: “Yes, a thank-you note would have meant a lot.”

Special. It feels good to receive a special note. A few that I treasure: one from my then seven-year-old son, who sprang up from the table in the middle of dinner to write about how much he was loving his “lopster” birthday meal; my friend Stephanie’s simple but beautifully crafted thank-yous, which I keep displayed by a window; even a short but sweet thank-you on a yellow Post-it from my teenage son.

Whirly Bin is pleased as punch that it can help you delight EVERYDAY in a little something worth your time!
Check out the selection of note cards and greeting cards that will help you say "Thank You" to anyone and everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment